Have you been noticing more wrinkles?
Is your skin starting to feel dryer than it has in years past?
It’s a fact of life, skin changes with age. A complex interaction of physical, biological and biochemical processes impact skin.
As skin’s collagen dense support layer (the dermis) thins, surface layers begin to sag and wrinkles form. The loss of collagen contributes to skin’s diminished ability to retain moisture. The rate at which skin cells are replaced, known as skin cell turnover, slows along with the skin’s healing mechanisms used to combat environmental stressors like sun damage.
Luckily, there is hope! In fact, there are many things you can do right now to help thwart those furrows and naturally prevent wrinkles.
Six natural ways to prevent wrinkles
- Protect skin from the sun – Ultraviolet (UV) exposure causes skin to prematurely age. Maintain skin elasticity by avoiding or limiting sun exposure.
- Stop smoking – Tobacco smoke is full of carcinogens and free radicals known to wreak havoc on healthy skin cells. Protect skin’s underlying support structures by steering clear of all forms of tobacco.
- Moisturize – There’s no way around it, dry skin is wrinkled skin. Keep skin protected to maintain its natural protective barrier and prevent transepidermal water loss.
- Cut down on sugary sweets – Not only do processed sugars have a negative effect on teeth, they promote inflammation in the skin. Increase skin elasticity by limiting the amount of refined sugars in your diet.
- Thoroughly cleanse your skin – The body initiates an intensive process of healing and rebuilding while you sleep. Leftover makeup contains damaging free radicals that penetrate skin and contribute to premature aging.
- Exercise –Remember, what’s good for the body is good for the skin (after all, skin is the body’s largest organ). Get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes every day to keep wrinkles at bay.
What causes wrinkles?
There are many factors that cause skin to age and wrinkles to form. These include normal chronological aging, decreasing hormone levels, genetic makeup as well as the consumption of an unbalanced and unhealthy diet. Some of these factors can be controlled or influenced while others are up to Mother Nature.
Try our six natural ways to prevent wrinkles and be sure to let us know of any age defying beauty secrets you’ve discovered to keep your skin looking beautiful.